Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Hardship/Poverty Exemption

Hardship/Poverty Exemption (MCL 211.7u)

Hardship/Poverty exemptions allow eligible homeowners exemption from paying property taxes. Poverty Exemptions must be filed annually and the owner of the property must be its principal resident. Residents who wish to apply for a poverty exemption should complete an exemption application and submit it to the Supervisor or Board of Review. First time applicants should complete form 5737. Returning applicants may complete form 5739 (which is shorter) for up to three subsequent years. After three years applicants will again need to complete form 5737. If applicants do not file State or Federal income tax returns they must also complete form 4988.